DATE OF FORMATION:06/08/2014
Mrs. Spoty Karthik
(M.Sc., M.Ed., N.E.T.)
Mrs. Nahida Mandviwala
(MA, M.Ed, N.E.T.)
The principle of gender equality enshrined in the Indian Constitution perceives that all women and men have right to live as free and equal human beings. The goal of the cell is the realiation of this principle.
- To create awareness among student teachers about problems faced by women due to gender issues.
- To create awareness amongst student teachers about the issues related to girls in schools.
- To equip the student teachers in providing sex education to school students.
- To disseminate knowledge about rights and laws related to women.
- To enhance the self-esteem and self- confidence of female student teachers coming from socially backward backgrounds.
- To develop financial literacy among the female student teachers.
- Talks on legal rights of women.
- Training in providing sex education in schools.
- Workshop on providing education to school children on child sexual abuse.
- Financial literacy program.
A session on Child Sexual Abuse (CSA) by Sonali Parab, Sr. Program Co-ordinator Arpan ( NGO based in Mumbai working on the issue of CSA). She acquainted the student teachers about POSCO Act in India. She also briefed them about Arpan’s intervention through ‘The Advocacy and Program strategy’ which included psychotherapeutic support through trained, qualified therapists to children and adult survivors of sexual abuse and their families. Followed by the program Arpan conducted a Recruitment session in the college. Two of the student teachers were selected.
An awareness lecture on Legal rights of Women in India titled ‘Human Rights as Women’s Rights’ was delivered by Dr.Daisy Alexander, Principal of Rizvi College of Law. Laws related to property rights, medical rights, domestic violence and sexual harassment were explained and discussed with reference to cases.
Cancer Awareness Lecture by Gynecologist Dr. (Sr.) Beena, Holy Family Hospital, Bandra, dealt in detail about Breast Cancer and Cervical Cancer.
Student teachers during the school internship conducted awareness sessions on Child Sexual Abuse and Menstrual Hygiene Management. Sessions included video shows, talks, sharing of experiences and Poster displays.