To enhance the professional competency of student teachers, Drama and Art in Education is introduced as a part of the B.Ed. curriculum.
The objectives of the course are
- Understanding the forms, elements and functions of Drama and Art,
- Understanding stagecraft and audience etiquettes,
- Learning how to integrate drama and art in the school curriculum,
- Enabling learners to develop their aesthetic sensibilities and using drama and art in creative expression,
- Elucidating the role of drama and art in self realization of learners,
- Sensitizing learners on the use of drama and art for special learners,
- Understanding of the local and global culture through drama and art,
- Enabling learners to perceive the social and environmental issues through drama and art.
To attain the above objectives several activities are organized and conducted in the college.
Activities organized in the college:
- Exposition on the forms, elements and functions of drama and art by professionals in these fields.
- Demonstrations on the various forms of drama and art.
- Visit to the NCPA for a guided tour to the various theatres to understand stagecraft and develop the aesthetic sensibilities of the student teachers.
- Visit to the libraries and photo gallery in NCPA
- Attending an Opera Music appreciation session and a Ballet appreciation session by an expert in NCPA to understand global culture and integrating it.
- A ten days Workshop on street play wherein student teachers learn, prepare script and perform street plays on various educational, social and environmental concern like unemployment, climate change, Casteism etc.
- Workshop on preparing script and integrating drama in education
- Workshop on using drama and art for special learners.
- Workshop on developing masks and puppets to teach the school subjects. Student teachers prepare lesson plan based on puppetry and present the lesson using it.
- Mr. Shivda Ghodke – A well known theatre director and designer. Associated with theatre movements for 32 years; visiting lecturer at Academy of Theatre Arts, Mumbai Vidyapeeth; specialized in ”therapeutic use of theatre” for special children and special theatre.
- Mr. Rajjab Ali – An expert in street play training, associated with Rizvi College, has won several prizes for the college in street play and drama competitions.
- Ms. Madhumati Pawar – Educationist who is specialized in integrating drama and other art forms in school subjects teaching. A judge for the state level school drama competitions.
- Ms. Neelam Mandal _ An Educationist who is specialized in making and using puppets in lesson transaction. Has won national award for her puppetry film on “Swach Bharath Abhyan”.